Tuesday, April 27, 2010

THE MIND IS MIGHTIER THAN THE FIST


Matthew started school when he was 4 because his birthday fell on the cut off date. Being almost a year younger than all the other child made him the smallest in the class and subject to being picked on by the larger kids in his class. After listening to him cry and whine each day when he came home from school about his lumps and bumps and after seeing that the school was not going to do anything to protect him from getting hurt, I finally told him that he was going to have to use his head to get the kids to stop picking on him. I wouldn't support physical violence and felt the situation could be resolved if Matthew persisted and used his head instead of his fists. I had no doubt he would figure it out and champion the situation. Afterall, he not only was a resourceful child, he was brilliant as well.

His brother, Daniel who was a year ahead of him in school informed both Mathhew and me that he wasn't going to fight his brother's battles. I think even at his young age, Daniel saw the potential of starting a lifetime trend. Daniel felt Matthew was smart enough to figure something out even if it was to hire some goons to come be his bodyguard on the playground. The image of Matthew doing something like that always stuck in my head!

By first grade he started telling all his schoolmates that his older sister was a Ninja. At that very young age, most kids will believe just about anything they are told and they certainly weren't going to chance getting their ass kicked by a girl. Slowly, the kids backed off especially when his older sister, then in 5th grade, would come onto the playground.

During second grade, the kids started doubting the Ninja story and by that time, his older sister was no longer in elementary school. Matthew was faced with having to put his thinking cap on once again. A few months into the school year, I noticed he hadn't mentioned anyone picking on him and I assumed everything was okay until I got a call from school. My youngest son had apparently been watching the news and saw where 3 brothers who were hemophiliacs were being banned from school in Florida because they had AIDS. What my son took from that news broadcast was that people left those boys alone because they had something wrong with them. When I received a call from school informing me that my son was telling people he had AIDS, I almost fell out of my seat.

By the 3rd grade Matthew had almost caught up physically to the rest of his classmates and the need to be creative no longer existed. Not only had his sized increased, but his schoolmates knew he might not be able to out punch them, but he could out fox them every time. I think what the whole experience taught him was that using his head is a much better, more effective and less painful way of dealing with the bullies in life.

Gratitude statement: I am thankful for the 3 intelligent children I have.

All gibberish within ©2004-2010 Mildred Ratched Memoirs.

2 comments:

  1. i'm surprised that back then, even the mention of the word didn't get him kicked out of school.

    have to admit that was very resourceful, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you do with a kid like that? I just don't know where he got that type of thinking from....hmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete