Tuesday, September 14, 2010

LIFE ACCORDING TO MILDRED

As we go through life we learn how to deal with a wide variety of scenarios. Some of us become masters or mistresses at the knack of being a "people" person, while others barely develop enough skills to be deemed socially acceptable. Life along with a few other variables mold us into the people we are. We are born and then like a piece of clay, we are molded. We go through many changes throughout the molding process remaining pliable until the process is complete and the finished product is the person who looks back at us in the mirror. At some point the clay starts to lose its elasticity and starts to harden. I believe the hardening process starts somewhere between adolescence and adulthood as life repetitiously reinforces all the things we have learned. I'm not saying our capacity to learn ceases, but the likelihood for major change decreases over time.

From the time we are born, we have many teachers. Each person we encounter leaves us with some wisdom, some tidbit of knowledge that helps us along our journey. All these encounters are valuable tools that equip us to face life in ways that are unique to us.

What I have learned about life is that the people who are the happiest and find inner peace are those people who have accepted themselves for the person they are. While my standards, preferences and outlook may be viewed with skepticism or some form of negative opposition, I have to say that I like myself and have no desire to be anyone else, but who I am.

As I look around me, I see how society pressures people into feeling inadequate. I see so many people who are unsatisfied or depressed over the people they have become. We're taught many things in life, but the most valuable lesson of all eludes most people. Mysteriously life does not teach us how to love ourselves, accept ourselves and our own limitations and to forgive ourselves for being less than perfect and for making mistakes.

I say mistakes are okay to make as long as we learn from them. I say we either make choices in life or life will make them for us. I say wear who you are as a badge being proud and holding your head high so others can admire your good qualities. Whatever your assets are eagerly display them and use them to get ahead in life and share them with others in ways so that happiness and pleasure can be derived from them. Minimize your deficits and weaknesses by understanding them and protecting yourself against harm. Do not give others the power to bring you down or to control your self-image or destiny. Whatever your actions are do them without regret and take chances along the way, for we only walk this way once.

Gratitude statement: I'm grateful I have few regrets in life and although I still haven't found what my true purpose is yet, I feel as though it may be just around the next bend on the path I'm following.

All gibberish within ©2004-2010 Mildred Ratched Memoirs.

3 comments:

  1. What I have learned about life is that the people who are the happiest and find inner peace are those people who have accepted themselves for the person they are

    Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. regrets. i've had a few. but then again, too few to mention.

    and your purpose is to make me happy. which you do.

    ReplyDelete