Tuesday, February 08, 2011

A DOSE OF SERENITY, COURAGE & WISDOM

Today the serenity prayer keeps going through my mind as I feel the pain of someone whose path is very similar to mine. For that person, Mildred offers a therapeutic dose of serenity, courage and wisdom.
[Insert the name of the higher power of your choice here], grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Isn't there a certain peace that comes when we finally accept that some things in life are not ours to control or change? Only when we move past the turmoil and reach acceptance do we truly see and understand that ours is the only life we should attempt to change. Our circumstances are the only circumstances we should alter. Time trying to control and manipulate anything and everything else is only time wasted in the long run.

When faced with the opportunity or need to change, it requires not only stamina, but it requires courage to step into unknown, uncharted territory. We may not be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel initially, but as long as we remain tenacious and are guided by an open mind and heart, the outcome is always filled with great insight and new beginnings.

Having wisdom is the most difficult thing to possess during this life altering process. Often times we are stuck in a crazy war between the heart and mind. Sometimes, we have to give up what is familiar. Sometimes we have to give up what we think we want and need. Sometimes we have to give up the love we feel for another person recognizing that it isn't meant to be and that moving on no matter how difficult or painful is the right thing to do.

Gratitude statement: As hard as it is to watch someone else struggle, I'm thankful that I'm strong enough to offer that person friendship and hope.

All gibberish within ©2004-2011 Mildred Ratched Memoirs.

5 comments:

  1. That serenity prayer is an old favorite of mine. My mom had it all over the house when I was growing up. I don't say as it as a prayer, but do try to practice differentiating those things I can do something about from those I cannot. And I try not to sweat too much those things which are out of my control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too very much like the Serenity Prayer: it is both sensible and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my motto....son;t sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and never try to type when you're tired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll trade a shot of courage for a dose of serenity...a double dose.

    ReplyDelete