Friday, August 18, 2023

THE CLOSET DOOR

I know if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's supposed to be a duck, but I've spent my entire life on the back side of the closet door because... well hell, I guess I did it because being an atheist isn't a popular thing to be and I always seem to go against the flow challenging anything in my way or that smells like bullshit. There I said it! I've finally came out of the closet. I'm a heathen through and through!

If I were a Christian, I'd really be pissed off at God. I mean, here sits this omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent perfectly benevolent being doing what? Definitely not being all-powerful, all-knowing and all present! Oh yeah! That's right! We, the imperfect sinners were given free will so we can royally screw things up. I guess that's where faith is supposed to factor into the whole equation. Suffer now and get rewarded later? Be a good, faithful follower and the best one can hope for is to watch people around us suffer and die. Lead a good life and never know when it's all going to end or be taken away in some dreadful flash.

And the hereafter? I'm sorry, but I don't want to spend my eternity singing and playing harps with angels. I think this is where one might insert a puke face emoji! I don't want to reach a state of perfection when there's nothing more to strive for... I don't want to be reunited with people who irritated the crap out of me during my brief tenure on this earth. Nope, I prefer to believe I'll become part of the vast cosmos eventually.

The first law of thermodynamics states (here she goes getting all quantum and acting like she actually knows something) that energy can be changed from one form to another, but cannot be created nor destroyed. IF science has it right then my life force will simply transform into some other "energy" at the moment of my death. Perhaps it's like water becoming ice or steam depending on whether heat or cold is applied to it. It's still water, but in a different form. It looks different. It has different properties, but it's still just water. I'd rather believe that someday I may be particles of stardust floating throughout the universe and perhaps, if I'm lucky my particles will find their way to some newly forming planet or star. How groovy would that be? (Did she really use the word "groovy?)

Since I have free will, I choose not to buy into an ageless god who has sat back watching our world decline and has done nothing to intercede on its behalf. I don't want to believe in a creature who would allow horrible things to happen to good people. I detest any being who allows wars to be fought in his/her name and who shines a glorified light on the self-righteous who judge others and who claims their way is the only way to some afterlife paradise. 

Nope! I just don't buy it. I'm a show me type of person and unless I see some grand stand miracle, I'm going to live out the rest of my life believing life is just life and nothing more. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people and sometimes good things happen to good people, but bad things don't happen often enough to bad people (I think that one needs to go in the suggestion box). Who ever said life is fair or just? Life is life! It's a short ride filled with many surprises...some good, some bad. And if I'm wrong, well, I'm sure I have many people praying for me and my willful ignorance. Maybe their God, will want to keep me around for awhile for a few giggles and grins!

Gratitude statement: I'm grateful the closet door is
ALWAYS unlocked and easy to open!

7 comments:

  1. I dont believe any of those things and I do believe that my energy will move to another form again.I dont label my beliefs though,they are mine and always growing. We live in a universe full of things beyond our imagination which is very limited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you came out like Ricky Martin, to all other Atheists a big--DUH. Carl Sagan said, "We are the stuff that stars are made of." People WAITED for him to recant his Atheists views as he lay dying, but he did not. Look, in the night's sky, yes, there---I see him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is too busy playing poker on the internet to do a "god-damned" thing for anyone. Quack, quack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drop by regularly and am glad to see you posting !

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are made from stardust and will return to be stardust again.

    https://mikenet707.blogspot.com/2023/08/5487-brocken-spectre.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, a woman of my own heart. I like to say, that if God were to have His/Her yearly work evaluation, they'd be fired, on the spot, well, maybe not by those for whom they find parking spots. Watch an interview with Stephen Fry or Neil DeGrasse Tyson (YouTube) on their beliefs about a God. Spot on. Years ago, after an F3 tornado had ravaged our town, a woman stopped me in front of our home, that had been only slightly damaged, and said, "Oh, God was looking out for you!" I replied, "Oh, and what, he decided to shit all over the rest of the town?! Um, No."

    ReplyDelete