Wednesday, November 09, 2011

TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY


I'm just gonna throw this out here because dammit, it's my blog and I'll whine if I want to, whine if I want to, whine if I want to, you would whine too if it happened to you...

Okay, now that I have that out of my system, I can tackle the topic at hand...I HATE CHRISTMAS! I hate everything about it. I hate the over priced, gaudy ornaments. I hate the lights that are left on people's houses until February or longer. I hate Christmas trees especially real ones grown for the expressed purpose of creating a mess and becoming a fire hazard. I hate the fattening foods and the extra pounds as a result of the fattening foods. I hate the maddening crowds and the feeding frenzy on Black Friday. I hate getting Christmas cards from people who I only hear from once a year. But most of all, I hate the sadness and anxiety I see in so many people's faces this time of year.

I believe Christmas was one of those "things" big business got together and created to pad their already bulging pockets. Oh yeah, everyone got in on the act...toy manufacturers, candy makers, greeting card companies, Christmas tree growers and everyone and everything you can possibly think of right down to the bell ringers outside the stores. Donate money to the needy? Why aren't they out there ringing their bells on April 10th or July 17th? Aren't the needy needy all year long? Everyone is guilty of contributing to the destruction of what was originally supposed to be the celebration of the Christian Savior's birth. Somehow Santa Claus got in the act and gift giving now looks like its on steroids. Why not just bake a Happy Birthday, Jesus cake and call it good?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why so many people suffer from depression/anxiety during the season to be jolly. Like everything else we do, we go way overboard by going into debt each year to make those people we love happy. We all know buying that red cashmere sweater or the newest electronic gadget will promote such goodwill towards our fellow man that world peace is imminent. Can't you feel it? Buy, buy, buy is a must and why? I don't get it! Why does there have to be a holiday that coerces people into spending money they may not have. Actually, that rather reminds me of our government, but that topic is reserved for another day.

Call me Ebenezer. Call me The Grinch! Call me anything you like, but tell me you don't say "Holy shit! It's that time of year again?" when you walk into a store in September and they already have all their Christmas stuff staring at you from their hallowed shelves beckoning you to open you heart and purses. There it sits in all its splendor waiting to be bought, wrapped, displayed or consumed in some way. And don't forget to buy some fabulous wrapping paper, a package of pretty bows, some cute gift tags and plenty of scotch tape to add to the festive ambiance of the season. If you're gonna do it, do it all the way, but if you want to make me happy, give me something I truly want. Make me something with your two hands. Create a masterpiece for me to enjoy all year. Snap a photo and have it framed. Paint a picture. Do some craft project. Build me some selves. Bake me some cookies and I'll sing JOY TO THE WORLD all year.

11 comments:

  1. You took the words right out of my mouth, I feel the same way 100%. Love your thoughts, love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm in the kitchen, dragging my tits across a hot stove just to make you happy. I'll be in there until the night before christmas...or christmas eve, as some call it.

    you know my sentiments about this holiday. not need to elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adi, don't you find it refreshing how like-minded people seek each other out?

    Jnuts, I see the hot stove has affected your fingers. You can step away just as soon as you make me some chocolate fudge filled with Christmas cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dammit, Mildred, I just finished making you a shitload of pies. I'll be damned if I'm going to make fudge filled with anything resembling christmas cheer. (I'll see if I can get one of my underlings to do it.)

    Love,
    Martha S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK where's the positive attitudes! Yes I agree to a point how commercialized it all has become but haven't we all played a part in that as well as the next person over the years! I for one am by far NOT a wealthy person and those of you who know me know this to be true but I LOVE every aspect of the Christmas season. I will be among the early bird folks on black Friday pushing and shoving my way through the crowds and smiling all the way. I love the music the smells and all the decorations too. I enjoy watching the little childrens faces as they tell the big fat guy in the red suit what they are hoping for at Christmas.I love the joy of celebrating the birth of Jesus for without Him I would be nothing and I'm not ashamed to say it...jus sayn...
    p.s. merry christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Martha: Was one of them rasberry?

    Margie, I'm having a rough time being positive right now. Another Kinsman Hall person died...HepC and it freaks me out whenever someone I know dies from a liver related illness. I guess that's selfish and silly of me to let death bother me like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The line forms back thar, Sister!:) And we said A Fing MEN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree and I am suggesting this wonderful link to give you an anti-christmas giggle

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZR3lJobjw

    ReplyDelete
  9. TFWY, I love your name! And a jolly HO HO HO to you. Thanks for dropping by.

    Displaced, thanks for the link. I'm going to go check it out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Displaced, that brought a smile to my face first thing this morning....thanks! Tom Lehrer was definitely ahead of his time. Can you imagine how this was received back in 1959?

    ReplyDelete