Friday, November 25, 2011

TO ALL WHO VISIT MILDRED

I hope your Thanksgiving was spent with all those people you hold closest in your heart whether they actually had a seat at your table or were with you in spirit only. I hope the food you ate put you in the sweetest turkey-induced coma you've ever had and that when you came back for round two, there was at least one piece of your favorite pie left with your name on it. I'm truly thankful for each of you who visit here whether it's frequently or just every now and then. I appreciate the time you take to read what I write and to share your thoughts, opinions and feelings with me and others. The bond people develop as a results of blogging is a unique one and one that I feel honored to have been part of since 2004. Yes, people do come and go, but those diehards like myself seem to seek out other diehards and together we somehow become a family with skeletons that rattle, joyous memories to share and sometimes tears to cry and rage to feel.

In my biological family, I always eat a turkey wing in memory of my great aunt Leah who passed away many years ago and one for myself. I know there's not much meat on them, but I've been eating them since I was a kid. The only time I would have to share was when Aunt Leah joined us for dinner. So each Thanksgiving and Christmas, I always announce at the table that I'm eating this wing for Aunt Leah. The other (the more tasty one, of course) is mine to savor! I started wondering today who would carry on that tradition when I'm no longer here. Who will remember me and Aunt Leah? Who will tell funny little stories about us and feel a tug in their heart?

Last, before I go out shopping in the madness of Black Friday (I can't believe I'm doing it), Wimpy Daughter insisted on putting purple streaks in my hair yesterday. I guess this must have been in celebration of the turkey fairy finally bringing her the red boots she had wanted.
Ooooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell
Ooooh that smell
The smell of "life" surrounds you

I think I smell a new Thanksgiving tradition in the making...

8 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean by that blogging bond. The highlight of my day is seeing which of my cyber friends have stopped by and left a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mildred I am glad you had a good thanksgiving and I love that you honour your aunt... Perhaps Wimpy Daughter will carry on the tradition?

    I love the bond of blogging and I have (in a very short time) made some terrific connections with people I would otherwise never have stumbled across. I'm only new to this game but I suspect that I will be here to stay. It's hard to believe it took me so long to find "My" medium!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed a very kicked back day and enjoyed a great dinner cooked and served by the cocksuckers at the catholic church, they even washed the dishes.

    And in a drawing I won a cute little stuffed dog, I'll post a picture on it on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat a few things on T-day as well, to remind me of loved ones. It is nice to have food to remind us of someone or someones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not telling my 5 year old about the turkey fairy! We're in enough trouble during Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one is truly gone as long as they are remembered in the hearts and minds of the ones who loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. from one old diehard skeleton to another, happy belated T-day, Karen.

    Loach: couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete