Tuesday, March 11, 2014

AND THE PLOT THICKENS

As stated in my rant on Saturday titled I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER, I'm trying to get to the bottom of what happened to one of my painting I shipped from the UPS store I always use to package and ship my paintings.  After talking to UPS twice I still haven't gotten any substantial information regarding what kind of damage occurred and what the "emergency" was as stated on their tracking site:

Brewer, ME, United States
03/07/2014 8:46 P.M. The package was damaged in transit. UPS will attempt to notify the sender with the details / All merchandise is being returned. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage.
03/07/2014 5:09 P.M. An emergency situation or severe weather condition has delayed delivery.
03/07/2014 6:50 A.M. Destination Scan
03/07/2014 12:31 A.M. Arrival Scan
What I was told is that they have up to 8 business days to investigate the damage before it is returned to sender even though I requested that the packaged be delivered.  I even asked if the intended recipient of the package who lives only a few miles from where the damaged painting is could come pick the painting up.  I was told that  it couldn't be delivered nor could it be picked up.


The good news in all this is that a fellow blogger who just happens to work for UPS stepped up and offered to help find out what's going on.  The following is the email she sent me:

Hi Karen,
[Yes folks, my real name is Karen] 
Here’s what I can tell from my system on your shipment 1Z3988530386326130:
 
It left The UPS Store on 3/4/14, and physically checked in on 3/5/14 at Jax, FL, and on 3/6/14 at Chelmsford, MA. Then on 3/7/14 it physically checked in at 6:50 am in Bangor, ME, which is the last scan  we had on it before the ‘emergency’ scan at 3/7/14 at 5:09 pm.
 
At this point I have to apologize, because normally a reason for the emergency is keyed along with the scan – like a thunderstorm, tornado, plane crash, etc. – but this time, all it says in the remarks is ‘emergency’. The emergency exception scan is repeated again on 3/10/14, however, and that time the remarks say, ‘mud’.
 
So the emergency was mud.
[WTF??? It isn't even mud season yet in Maine.]
 
Your claim, (claim#: 04983859), is showing as denied yesterday afternoon due to inadequate packaging. The wording the inspection came back with was, ‘UPS has identified deficiencies in External Packaging, Internal Packaging, Product Placement for this package. UPS is not liable or responsible for damage to any package from improper packaging.’
 
[Claim???? What claim?  I didn't make a claim.  And how can the claim be rejected due to inadequate packaging when the UPS store did the packaging?]
 
What I recommend doing now is disputing this denied claim for the damages that UPS found. I would call the 800-742-5877 back and let them know you want to dispute the denied claim. They’re going to want to verify stuff with you but they should be able to dispute it, all they have to do is hit a ‘dispute’ button on the bottom of their screen and then select ‘overturned’ on the classification drop-down menu. If they sound like they don’t know how to do it or if they sound confused, ask to speak to a supervisor.
 
[I did call them back and was told that I would have to call the UPS store from which the package was sent.  So I called the UPS store and they are now in the process of "investigating" it and will call me back with the details.]
 
I’m so sorry you’re going through this! I wish I could fix this myself for you but I don’t work in that department anymore (I do international shipments now) so I no longer have access to any of those systems. But please let me know if you need anything else or if you have any questions.

What a wonderful person she is for trying to help me! Thank you so much, Michelle! I think Van Goggins (who can be found on Facebook if anyone is interested in viewing my artwork) needs to paint this lady a picture as a sign of my deep gratitude....and package the painting myself and mail it with the post office!  LOL  By the way, "Van Goggins" is the name my best friend gave me when I started painting.  She thought it was a close to van Gogh as you could get using my real name. Of course, I was flattered even though I'm not nearly as crazy as van Gogh was and I still have both my ears!

22 comments:

  1. What a mess. If UPS did the packaging for you and the reason your non existent claim is being denied is improper packaging then you have a small claims court case on your hands methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I'll ever find out what really happened...I'm hoping the painting isn't too badly damaged.

      Delete
  2. And around and around it goes. I really hope you get compensated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't want or need compensation...I just want the painting back.

      Delete
  3. Dear Mildred,
    that is a very annoying incident! Incredible how they treat their customers. In Germany I was so naive to believe in Deutsche Post and sent an expensive fountain pen to my son - it never arrived. They "searched" (haha) for a few weeks - than said they were sorry. Me too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's horrible, but I'm sure it's the same way all around the world.

      Delete
  4. Aw, you posted my whole email on here! I really wish I could have done more! :(

    I still need to go check out your page, my computer has been down while my floor-sleeper is de-bugging it. You are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're the awesome one. Your offer to help was so unexpected and welcomed. You definitely brought a smile to this old puss! Thanks once again! You rock!

      Delete
  5. My goodness, it is never dull for you, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just blowing off a little steam...usually things around here are pretty dull.

      Delete
  6. At one time or another, everyone takes the spot in the arena of battling with UPS. I hope your battle turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My battle was hardly even that...I got the damaged painting back and that was that.

      Delete
  7. Hope everything is well with you and that your parcel issue was resolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got resolved...well sort of, but I haven't painted anything since. I've really been down in the dumps. I guess I need to write a blog post.

      Delete
  8. Wow. What a stressful situation. I don't know what I do besides scream and scream and scream.
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mildred. How distressing it must have been for a painting to go missing. So glad a good person stepped in to help. Hope all sorts out now. No doubt you lost your creative spirit there for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on getting my mojo back, but it didn't really have anything to do with this incident.

      Delete