Saturday, July 19, 2014

PET PEEVES #3 - NO SOLICITORS

I not only support, but I also respect a person's right to worship in any manner that best suits that person. This also includes a person's right to exclude themselves from religious worship altogether and perhaps walk a road a little less travelled by claiming they don't believe in God at all.  The older I get the more I realize many people don't have the capacity to live and let live. They seem to want or need everyone to be the same cookie cutter image of themselves.  Any variant is feared, hated, ridiculed, judged and then condemned.  Where religion is concerned I see less tolerance in differences than in any other aspect of life....even politics.  

So many people try to ram their religious beliefs down other people's throats and act as if they have a direct pipeline to God.  How they interpret His Word is 100% correct and only like-minded people know the way to live righteously and will receive true salvation or so they think.  I may be wrong...I've been that way a time or two in my life, but  somehow I see a direct correlation between those people who cry loudest about being be Christians and those who judge other people the loudest and most adamantly.  I may not be up on many Bible verses, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't judgment saved only for God Himself?  With that being said, my pet peeve isn't about what these religious lunatics believe, but about how they act because of their beliefs.  When I hang a sign on my front door saying NO SOLICITORS  that includes selling religion door to door.  I'm sorry, but I hung that sign for a reason so when you knock on my door anyway does that mean you don't have a true grasp of the English language?  Should a I hang a dictionary next to the sign? Or are you just that arrogant as to think you know what I want more than I do? 

10 comments:

  1. Yes.
    And I love the No Solicitors sign. It has charm.
    My vote is for arrogance. They know better than I do want I want or need. Much better. It must be wonderful to be that confident. For this lesser human it is intensely irritating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll make a bunch of these signs and sell them at a flea market. Now, that's my idea of selling something!

      Delete
  2. Over the years I've learned to tolerate people who try to cram religion down my throat. It's the ones that resort to suppositories I can't stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a sign on my door years ago....they still came around...then one day the sign was ripped down. Now I don't open the door at all. I just look through the glass, ask them what they want, say no thank you and putter off about my business. They can stand there all day if they want to.
    My guess is that there are some folks who don't believe signs apply to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't answer the door or if I do I tell them I'm Jewish or Muslim...that befuddles them!

      Delete
  4. I respect most people's beliefs and if it gives them comfort in their lives, that is wonderful. I would just like them to do the same for me.

    ReplyDelete