Saturday, October 18, 2014

THE UNSHUTTABLE PIE HOLE

I took my mother to see Gone Girl yesterday. The movie definitely had a different twist to it and Ben Affleck is easy on the eyes so it was enjoyable/entertaining on a several levels.  But what I admire most about Mr. Affleck isn't the ease at which he does with any onscreen nudity or his obvious eye candy appearance, it was that he wouldn't/couldn't be filmed wearing a NY Yankees baseball cap (some things just aren't done under any circumstances especially if you're a Boston Red Sox fan).  I also admire his extensive political knowledge and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't throw his hat into the political arena someday.  Let's face it, stranger things have happened. 

While my mother and I were at the theatre for our girls' afternoon out, we encountered what probably is a quite common problem for people attending any movie regardless of the time of day. Let me ask everyone a rhetorical question...why do people to go to the movies only to sit there and talk all the way through the movie? Furthermore, if you are going to talk all the way through the movie, why not sit up back in an almost empty theatre so you won't bother those people sitting close by with your constant talking?  Perhaps that makes too much sense for someone who obviously has a problem with playing well with others and coloring within the lines!

We had a couple behind us that drove us crazy because they wouldn't stop talking. I shushed them a few times to no avail. I guess I've gotten soft in my old age, but since you never know when you're pushing anyone too far and you can't second guess anyone's reaction to confrontation, I probably should have gone out and gotten the manager to do my bidding for me, but honestly, I didn't want to miss any of the movie. 

I really think along with the before movie announcement to turn off your cell phone, it should include an announcement about keeping your pie hole shut throughout the movie.  I know, I really need to stop being so idealistic, but hoping and dreaming seems to be part of my basic genetic make up. My idea probably wouldn't be much help because some people are just plain rude and think rules, laws and common courtesies apply to everyone else and not to them.  So where are the Duck Tape Police (DTP) when you really need them and what would Emily Post do in this situation?  Does the Emily Post Movie Etiqutte Manual have a section covering the unshuttable pie holes of the world?  If not, Ms. Post, it's time to update your material.

27 comments:

  1. THIS is why I don't go to the movies any more...people WILL NOT STFU! the only place I get a quiet movie is the local art house cinema - mostly old farts like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I have missed you.
    And yes, what would Ms Post do?
    I found the book of Gone Girl confronting, and won't be seeing the movie. Glad you did though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know I've been missed and you found it confronting in what way? I didn't read the book.

      Delete
    2. I found it confronting as a reminder of just how truly awful we can be to each other. No bloodshed involved but such a lot of nastiness. And I couldn't make up my mind which of the major protagonists I disliked most. Excellently written - and nasty to the core.

      Delete
    3. I think perhaps I need to read the book even though most people read the book and then watch the movie when one come out. I've heard nothing but great things about the book.

      Delete
  3. this is why I watch movies at home...you can pause and rewind when the hubs won't shut up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hubby here...my mother and I needed the afternoon out to reset from our Maine fiasco. What we got instead was annoyed at the dillholes sitting in back of us. Isn't life fun?

      Delete
  4. I watch movies at home now. If I want a theater atmosphere, I'll ask my wife to kick the back of my chair and spill things on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I needed the laugh you just gave me...thank you!

      Delete
  5. I think there is a special place in hell for those who talk in the theatre. It's a terrible death to be talked to death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that is why I won't go to the movies. Years ago I was at one of the Narnia movies....theatre wasn't packed but there were a few families w/ kids. Some guy, who clearly didn't want to be there w/ his wife/girlfriend and their kid wouldn't put his cell away so I politely asked him to. He went off on me, told me to shut the eff up and mind my own effing business. Heads whipped around, his girl looked like she wanted to die. That was the last movie I went to.

    And PS, as a native Bay Stater, I think it's great Ben refused to wear a Skankees cap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the next time I want watch some flick midday at the theatre, I'll just kick myself instead. Go Red Sox, Pats, Celtics and Bruins!

      Delete
    2. Once while travelling with my mother, we had a layover at La Guardia Airport and as we walked through the airport I stopped and asked various people if they knew where I could buy a Red Sox T-shirt. My mother asked if I was trying to get us killed and I laughed because I got my giant brass balls from her. :)

      Delete
  7. Last week we went to see a movie and we were in the theater by ourselves. A 2nd couple came, and here there were four of us. It was incredibly quiet, no distractions. Wonderful. The secret is to go to the movie in its 2nd or even 3rd week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought by going at 11:30am and having maybe 10 people at the most in the theatre my mother and I wouldn't encounter the problem we did encounter. Oh well! That'll teach me for trying to think, right?

      Delete
  8. At least you didn't pay that much money to get in. Wait, yes you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love it when they had the dollar movies. I didn't care that they had been out awhile. Paying $7.00 for a matinee just seems way too steep to me.

      Delete
    2. $7 would be ultra-cheap here in Australia.

      Delete
    3. River, just out of curiosity how much are movie tickets in Australia?

      Delete
  9. you hit a nerve with me. I'm the Movie Nazi person saying shush. I personally think folks should be quiet during previews. I want to hear what's going on. I think folks are so used to talking at home, checking phones, multi-tasking that they have no clue how to sit still and shut up. We are on the same page!!! Thanks for the post. And Gone Girl was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always irks me when people show no consideration for each other. I can only imagine what these people are like at home!

      Delete
  10. Oh, yes, I have all but given up on going to the movies ... even the chipped ice being rattled in an almost empty cup drives me to thoughts of murder ... and I am normally a gentle soul ... :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame people in general don't seem to care about anything but their own needs and wants. Many talk a good game but their actions say something entirely different.

      Delete