Thursday, February 12, 2015

MILDRED IS A RAY OF SUNSHINE!

What does one write about when they really have nothing to say?  Some say silence is golden, but in my case silence is nasty by-product or better yet, the waste material of being a hermit.  So why should I sit here and type when my heart isn't in it?  That's a good question and one that can be answered with a simple explanation.  My friends, all whom I love dearly are real pains in my ass and don't know how to quietly sit by and let me drown in my own waste.  They seem to want to read all the tidbits I reveal here via Mildred's fingers.  You guys rock and thank you for not letting me drown.

Last night while I lay in bed wide awake counting defective sheep who couldn't jump over the fence (I even built a ramp so the fatter ones didn't have to attempt to jump over it...after all who wants a bunch of dead or gimpy sheep cluttering their thoughts), a question my sister-in-law asked me a few months ago echoed in my brain.  As the family sat around a table at Helen's Restaurant enjoying lunch together, we all listened to the colorful stories my brothers were telling about the days of their misspent youth.  After several stories had been told, my sister-in-law wanted to know where I was during all these stories and where were all my stories...great questions, but ones that don't have  simple explanations.  How does one go about explaining being "Rudolph" to the newest addition to a dysfunctional family.  I briefly thought about it because at this point in my life giving something that happened a million years ago consideration just seemed pointless.  The truth was that I truly can't remember joining in any reindeer games.  Whose loss was that? The lack of reindeer games most likely is due to being the youngest and only girl and while most of my stories are great for blog subject matter, they aren't really appropriate for casual family lunches.  Fifty Shades of Mildred and a slice of apple pie for dessert sounds delightful!  So I smiled and let my brothers have center stage...a place more suited for them then Rudolph.

After beating myself up for the better part of an hour while I twisted and turned for the childhood I didn't have, my mind jumped back to relive the whole fiasco I had with my aunt a few months ago while I was in Maine.  Does time really heal all wounds?  I really want to know because my heart is still broken.  Part of me wants to apologize to her because I miss her, but the sane part of me knows I did nothing wrong...well, maybe a little wrong by letting myself say what needed to be said while I was angry. Mildred can be a real bitch when she's angry! Many would say my anger was justified and my aunt deserved the tongue lashing I gave her, but hindsight tells me I should have handled it differently.  I shouldn't have let the mixture of being angry about how she treated my mother and I and being physically ill at the time come out so harshly.  I guess if I was really honest I'd have to admit that what really hurts the most is the fact that I'm not worth an apology.  I had to accept the fact that someone I love dearly doesn't feel anything for me. In hindsight, I think all I might have been to her was someone to fill the void...I was last on her list and now I'm gone. 

I heard something the other day that's stuck with me...people who are "collectors" never find love.  Collectors are people who never really burn any bridges or truly end relationships. They just collect people like they're some kind conservation piece. Romantic entanglements somehow morph into long, drawn-out, unhealthy friendships and friendships that are one-sided just remain that way to fester and be a constant source of hurt and disappointment and people who are relatives...well, they're in a category all to themselves. When the epiphany hit me it was like an arrow going through my brain. All of a sudden I short circuited as the reset button was pressed.  I actually lost my breath for several seconds.  OMG! I'M A COLLECTOR! I can't let go and although I do know what love is, love for me has been a fleeting thing.  Here I am by myself because collectors never find lasting love.

Okay, so I lied...I did have something to say after all.  As you see my mind set is in a dreadful place, but you know what?  I remain hopeful!  I really do and in the grand scheme of things that's what's important...isn't it?

16 comments:

  1. You don't owe that woman an apology. After the way she treated you guys? I think not. Cut the harpy out of your life unless she apologizes first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never contact her...let's just say I had a moment of weakness towards someone I once loved like a mother. My heart ached for something I once thought I had.

      Delete
  2. Well, well, well if you think just because you broke your silence that I am going to quit writing poetry you are exactly right.....Thanks so much for this entry, you have been dearly missed and you are greatly loved...so feast on that for a while but just a little while an write us something more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your poetry almost as much as I love you. I consider you amongst the greatest gifts I've had in life and I truly do treasure our friendship.

      Delete
  3. You've been on my mind often during your absence. Maybe you feel the blogger's itch coming back? Oh yes, definitely remaining hopeful is really important in the grand scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel flattered that I was on your mind...I'll try not to wallow in the muck to the point it keeps me from blogging.

      Delete
  4. Ahhhhh, there's my friend, my twisted sister, my partner in crime! I (aka Martha) have missed you more than I can put into words! Your words surprise me - I have never known you to NOT have something to say. There is always something brewing in that brain of yours - let those thoughts trickle down into your fingers and type. Inquiring minds want to know (okay, so maybe a bit nosy, too). You cross my mind often. The loss of my Mom, cousin Alan, and Cheryl in the past few weeks has made me take a good long look at how short life really is and how important it is to stay connected with those we love in whatever way works! I didn't keep in touch and I have to live with the regret for the rest of my life.
    We all get into those dark places every now and then and its great to know that we have our pain in the ass friends to throw us a lifeline!! Love you and so happy to see you making a comeback!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto and we'll catch up when you get back from Hawaii. Hopefully, in the future you'll plan another trip to Florida so we can "play" on the beach.

      Delete
  5. I too was glad to see you posting, and seeing all your updates. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words...I'll try harder not to let the blues get to me.

      Delete
  6. Altho I don't know you well, you are one heck of a story teller of truths and not so truths.
    My brother Bill and my did didn't speak to each other for several years. Bill's silence was truly justified. When they did phone each other, there was always an edge that both cool fall from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and support...both mean so much to me.

      Delete