Sunday, June 22, 2014
MY TOP 25 LIGHTBULB MOMENTS
We all have moments when things just seem to click and suddenly make sense. Here are a few things Mildred has learned about her relationship with herself, friends, family and lovers as she has stumbled down a rather bumpy garden path:
1) Someone who loves you will make time to be with you even when their schedule is so hectic and chaotic that they barely have time to take a shower.
2) Someone who loves you will never treat you like you're an afterthought and will always attempt to include you in their plans whenever possible.
3) If you leave a voicemail or send an email or an occasional smoke signal, a considerate person responds. Silence can be interpreted in many ways, but in my book, silence is rude and neglectful.
4) Plain and simple...any relationship does NOT thrive on neglect.
5) Intimacy starts to happen when two people open up and nurture each other.
6) Relationships tend to grow and thrive as long as the relationship is a two way street!
7) Relationships quickly dissipate and die as a result of constant drama, negativity and turmoil.
8) Don't be a door mat! Hanging in there will only make you feel demeaned and used. Your feelings are worth more than that, so find someone who can and will love you as much as you love them.
9) If gift giving occasions always come and go without even a simple acknowledgement (remember cards are relatively inexpensive) from the people who are most important to you, then they aren't deserving of your time, effort and hard-earned money. Why worry about finding "the perfect gift" for someone who always has some lame excuse as to why they can't reciprocate? As we've always been told, it really is the thought that counts! Obviously that jerk didn't get the same memo! Stop wasting your time and money! Go buy yourself a gift for being smart!
10) Everyone has preferences! If someone likes a tall partner and you're short unless you know how to get leg extensions, you should bow out gracefully.
11) Sometimes people stay in relationships with the wrong person for a lifetime because they're afraid of being alone.
12) Being alone is much better than being with the wrong person.
13) Actions speak louder than words and words can be pretty cheap at times.
14) Some people are great at blowing smoke up people's backsides and weaving captivating dreams, but when it comes right down to it, those people are clueless when it comes to anything real and meaningful.
15) People who love us will make our dreams come true...or at least they'll try to!
16) Open your eyes, read the signs and don’t overlook any red flags.
17) Trust your instincts and intuition.
18) If you spend all your time wondering and questioning everything in a relationship, it's time to move on.
19) Always accept people for who they are and not for who you want them to be.
20) A real person will start the race and finish it being the same person.
21) Remember a real person has flaws and imperfections! Perfection might be alluring, but it doesn't exist.
22) Shutting the door and turning off the light might be a safe thing to do, but it's only going to hurt you in the long run.
23) No one should live in a dark cave!
24) The time to shut the door and turn off the light is when we die. Until then, be brave and be willing to change the lightbulb occasionally.
25) All relationships are a work in progress and communication is one of the key ingredients to having a successful one.
Gratitude statement: Even though I may learn everything in life the hard way, I'm thankful that eventually even I see the light.