Thursday, August 23, 2018

THE ROAD TO NOWHERE - PART X

Are you still with me? If you are, then you've reached the moment of the big reveal. From 1975 when my daughter was born until about 2 years ago (2016) my daughter always believed  her father was Kenny Rowe. I never for one moment thought he was an actual possibility. All one had to do was do some simple math. That's why we have fingers and toes! For my daughter to be his, she would have had to have been born prematurely at about 7 months. Have you ever heard of a 7 month old fetus weighing over 9 lbs? 


I'm to blame for this lie and do take full responsibility for telling it and for letting others tell it. You see, way back when I was still in Chipley before I came back to Pensacola to give birth and I told Kenny I was pregnant.  But before I could tell him it wasn't his, he beat me to the punch by assuming that he was the father.  Instead of setting the record straight right then and there, I got my ass bent out of shape when he jumped in before I could tell him and he beat me to the punch by expecting me to get an abortion. I guess his initial reaction about my situation pissed me off and I just let the whole thing ride and let him continue to believe a lie. For the longest time, I thought my secret would never come back to bite me. I thought my secret was safe and that I was protecting my daughter when in reality all I was doing was taking the easy way out by protecting myself from dealing with the truth.

Like most lies, they may not catch up to you at first and sometimes they never catch up to you, but anyone with a conscience eventually feels guilty for telling a lie especially when it's a huge lie. At that point, any honorable person will decide to finally do the right thing if they can. Sure, I felt pangs of guilt over the years, but I wasn't ready to do the right thing until a few years ago. About the time I decided to come clean, I also decided to do some genealogy research so my daughter could at least have a more complete picture of the gene pool that created her. Before that all she knew were all the kooks on my side of her tree.  Doing genealogy research has been an on again off again project of mine for about 20+
 years and include being related to many of the Salem witches, Laura Ingalls Wilder, several passengers on the Mayflower, William the Conqueror and thousands of weirdos and misfits that have given me a certain flair.

Telling my daughter the truth was difficult, but I did it without making any excuses for my deceitful behavior. I did what I did many years ago and it was wrong. Period! I was then faced with an entire new set of decisions to make. I figured tracking Donnie down would be relatively easy, but that wasn't the case. Doesn't Murphy's Laws state "nothing is ever as easy as you think it will be?" For the last two years I've chased a "ghost." At some point, I thought "maybe he's dead," but if that was true, there would have been a record of his death and I couldn't find one. 

When I started my "project, I had my daughter do a DNA test through Ancestry.com to give me a place to start my search. Until very late on August 10, 2018, I wasn't able to connect all the dots that would lead me to finding Donnie. Up until then I found plenty of people who showed up as DNA matches for my daughter, but the closest match I had to work with was a couple first and second cousins. Those people never responded to my request for help filling in the blank spots on my daughter's tree. Go figure! I guess on August 10th all the stars and planets were in perfect alignment because I finally located him. The Donnie Arnold I knew long ago is Martin Eudon Arnold. A couple details I discovered made me laugh out loud. The first was that he lives in a place I lived about 30 years ago. It really is a small world when you get right down to it! The next thing that amused me was that I found out when I located him that his birthday was on August 11th...the very next day. Happy birthday, Donnie!

As I dug deeper, my amusement turned into a really sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I discovered out he had gotten married in 1973.  OMG! Was he married when we had our little brouhaha in Panama City Beach?  The answer to that was no. He had gotten divorced the month before I met him in August 1974. I guess I was both his birthday gift and celebratory freedom lay that summer.  He did however manage to get his ex-wife pregnant after they divorced and she had a baby boy a month after my daughter was born. He also got married in 1988, but his wife died in 1991. Since that time, he appears to have remained single or at least never married again.

Now, I'm faced with what should I do next. Should I do nothing and just be content with handing my daughter all the info I've found or should I rock Donnie's world by contacting him with a "hey dude, remember me and guess what we did?"  I think my daughter deserves an opportunity to know her father if he's open to that, but I definitely don't want to hurt her by throwing her to the wolves. I have a letter written and saved on my computer, but I don't know who I should send it to. Should I send it to his two adult children and let them be the bearer of good tidings and joy or should I bite the bullet and send him the letter? I'm not usually this indecisive, but then again I've never been in this situation before.  Any advice anyone wants to toss my way will be deeply appreciated. I'm seriously running on empty. I haven't had a normal sleep pattern for a long, long time. I feel anxious whenever I start thinking about this and I just want to put this behind me once and for all, but I can't do that until I do something...and hopefully that something I ultimately decide to do is the right thing for everyone concerned.  I used to keep an 8-ball on my desk at work for situations that required decision making. Maybe I should dust it off and consult it now!

14 comments:

  1. For what it is worth I am leaning towards bullet biting. I think I would be seriously pissed if my children came to me and said 'hi Dad. Did you know we have a half-sister? Their mother wrote to us'.
    Not an easy letter at all. Perhaps you could ask whether he is open to his daughter contacting him (and her half siblings).
    Some things really do come back to bite us don't they? And they have sharp teeth.
    Mind you, if someone was telling me to have an abortion before I had told them they had any part in creating the child I would have been savage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. I just need to rewrite the letter a few dozen more times before I send it.

      I think I was savage enough towards Kenny. There's more to the story with him but that'll be for another time.

      Delete
  2. My two cents... I would contact him and take it from there. It is definitely a difficult topic to present to someone but at least it'll be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish me luck and I'll definitely post an update on here when whatever is going to happen finally happens.

      Delete
  3. What a series!!!! This was interesting to read as I feel I have gotten to know you my dear. You are one character. I could sit and listen to you over drinks anythime. As for telling the father, your right, he should know, and your daughter should know him. I'd let the ball in her court, see if she wants to know him and take it from there.

    I am leaving for vacay in the morning, oh look it is morning... and returning in a couple weeks. I will be back to read more earth child. Hold down the fort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mistress, I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it and yes, I'm sure you have a good feel for who I am. I'm a character, huh? lol You really think so? Sigh! And to think I'm a boring hermit now...

      Have a great vacation and I definitely hold down the fort. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it!

      Delete
  4. He needs to know that you gave birth to and raised a wonderful girl, no thanks to him. Donny also has to be held accountable for his life style.

    You are an amazing woman. Your daughter must have a big dose of your DNA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like most children she hated to be compared to me when she was growing up even though she really was nothing like me. Now, she rather likes the comparison. I guess I don't have the same cooties as I had when I was younger!

      My daughter is one of my pride and joys. She's really very talented, a natural leader and as smart as she is beautiful. If I say anymore she'll think I'm trying to get a great birthday gift from her. lol

      Delete
  5. I like that you took the time to share your life, which in many ways reads like some of my fave novels. I know it may be rough, but like everyone else, I think you should go for it and tell Donnie the truth even if it rocks his world. You've raised quite a wonderful daughter, which is very cool! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol so what are your favorite novels? Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and support. Whatever happens in the future will be fine I'm sure. We're made of some true grit that always kicks ass in the face of troubled times. My daughter and I definitely have this covered no matter what kind of reception we receive.

      Delete
  6. Hello Mildred! It has been a long minute or two since I visited the blogging world. Coming back to your Page has been like finding your favorite comfy chair, picking up a book from your favorite author and settling in with a cup of your favorite coffee. I have missed this. My 2 cents (though they may be late) is to contact Donnie yourself, lay the cards out and let Donnie pick them up. Any other choice would still be you hiding. This is your path you started down many years ago and now you must walk it to the end. I wish the very best outcome for you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! Wow! I don't think I've ever been called a "comfy chair", but I'll accept it with gratitude and honor. I've always tried to keep it real and write from my heart with my head thrown in there at times.

      I appreciate all the feedback I get. It helps getting advice from another perspective than my own.

      Now that you're back...it's time to update your blog. Three years is a long time and I'm sure a lot has happened during that time. And if that isn't the case, maybe this is your opportunity to make something up! lol

      Delete
  7. I have truly enjoyed this entire story! Just catching up now. I would contact him and not his kids. That would rock their world way too much to hear it from you and not from him. You've released a lot of info here on your blog and he has an unusual enough middle name that if he googled his name, this will probably come up in his searches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always a method in my madness! I use real names where I want search engines to index them. Other people I use only first names.

      I'm glad you enjoyed this small blip in my timeline. I've been pondering who I want to "out" next! lol As much as I've written about my younger years, I've barely scratched the surface. My oldest brother and his wife read my blog and think I should write a book...maybe someday and besides I've already written a book (mostly)...just can't seem to write an ending for it. A shrink would have a ball with that one. In fact, a shrink would have a ball with most of my life and now I'm boring. lol

      Delete