Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Tara

It was Christmas Eve 2008 when Tara came to live with us. Whitey (my last surviving Himalayan cat) had just about grieved himself to death after Chewy, his brother passed away in May. He needed a friend, but I wasn't ready for another cat. Chewy was my baby. I loved him dearly and it crushed me when he died. He had cancer and I had to have him put to sleep. I guess that's the polite terminology for euthanizing your pet, but there's nothing polite about death.

Like a fool I used to go out doing last minute Christmas stuff and I had my son, Matthew with me. When we were headed home, I turned into the Escambia County Animal Shelter and he looked at me and asked me the obvious. Whitey had given us very specific instructions to follow: NO FEMALE CATS and NO BLACK CATS. The reason for this was that his very own mother hated him. Yes, his mother wasn't very nice (she used to bite him and the bites would et infected) and my mother had a black cat named Bob who got ahold of Whitey once and tore his neck open...so NO BLACK CATS and NO FEMALES CATS.

In we went to the Animal Shelter and they had a great selection of kittens and cats, but none of them seemed too playful or had very much personality except one and it kept sticking its paw out through the cage EVERY time we walked by. Hey, pick me! You guys, pick me! It talked and talked and talked and carried on until we came over and read its card and talked to it. So we ended up bringing that cat home for Whitey...it took him about a week to get used to HER. Yes, it was a FEMALE! And yes it was BLACK! He taught her all his bad habits and told her she didn't have to be a lap cat, but about a month before my mother's cat died she started sleeping on my mother's bed as if she knew my mother would need that when Pat was gone. Basically, she's become my mother's cat over the last few years and I think that's a good thing for both of them.

Today Tara is having surgery. She has a mass on her lower left side. The vet says that in cats that it's usually cancer, but they won't know for sure until the pathology report comes back. I know she's just a cat, but if you can please keep Tara in your thoughts I'd really appreciate it. She's a good kitty and we'd like to have her back home and healthy. Fenway, Libby and B.A. are cogs (cat/dogs) and Tara is a member of their pack. They patiently await her return...

Addendum: Thursday November 7, 2019 7:24am: This was written as a draft and was supposed to be posted on Thursday and not on Wednesday. It was my screw up for posting it early. Tara is getting operated today. I'll be dropping her off at the vet in less than hour.

Addendum: Thursday November 7, 2019 3:36pm: Tara is home and doing well. She was sent home with pain meds to take if she needs them. The vet at Megan's Landing Veterinary Clinic said the mass was easily removed. It appeared to be in a sac and had not metastasized to any other surrounding area. We'll know more when the pathology report comes back. I'd like to thank everyone for their support. It means so much to me.

Last Update: Sunday December 11, 2022 8:55am: The mass was cancer, but to date it never returned. Tara is now 14 years old and still a member of the dog pack. 

20 comments:

  1. I would never, ever, ever say or even think that she's "just a cat". I will send all my very best good vibes and positive thoughts your (and her) way. My dog Ginger went through and episode back in September that scared us to death. It turned out to be something relatively minor that resolved itself....I hope it's the same with Tara.

    Hugs and gentle pats to you all from South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      Thank you from Tara and from me :). She's home now hiding under the bed at the moment. When it's safe she'll come out and join the family.

      Delete
  2. Just a cat are words you will never hear from me.
    Our Jazz had a very expensive series of vet trips a couple of months ago.
    The provisional diagnosis is feline pancreatitis. He is at the moment doing well (much to the vet's surprise).
    They wind their paws deep into our hearts and take a piece of us with them when they leave.
    Sending oceans of good wishes to Tara and all those who love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Your Jazz has had a rough go of it and I'm so glad he's doing well now. Tara is home. The whole crew came to greet her and that freaked her out and she went under the bed. My Shih Tzu thought she'd go in the cat cage and all I saw was a dog butt sticking out. Where is your phone when you need a camera real quick? lol

      Delete
  3. No, they are not just cats, they are family and they are loved very much. I am hoping for the best for your Tara. She is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! They aren't just cats. Tara is doing fine and thank you. We think she's beautiful, too.

      Delete
  4. Sending good healing thoughts to Tara. I hope the operation is a big success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [Sigh of relief] Tara is home! The surgery went well and now all she has to do is heal and grow her fur back. The dogs were happy to see her and that shook her up some what and she went and hid for the time being. I guess she needed to be alone for awhile and that's understandable.

      Delete
  5. I still miss my cat that I had about 10 years ago. I hope things go well with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I miss my kitties I had years ago too. I don't think the love ever goes away completely. I have my Himalayans buried in my backyard. They're all together and it makes me sad when I think of them. I really loved them so much...each of them in different ways.

      Delete
  6. Just a cat. You're funny. You know how I feel, and I will be thinking of you and Tara today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know how you feel and thank you for feeling that way. More people should have a heart like yours.

      Delete
  7. OMB, your tara looks like my oreo! sending positive energy to you and tara today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I left you a message on your blog awhile ago telling you that your profile pic of the black and white cat you use looks like my cat Tara. Hi Oreo! Thanks for the positive energy...Tara is home now and doing well.

      Delete
  8. I am so very glad to hear that Tara is home and doing well.
    Jazz's fur has mostly grown back now and he is happy to no longer look like punk pussy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Jazz is happy that his status is almost back to normal because who wants to look like a punk pussy?

      Delete
  9. I thought you knew, your pets are the children that never grow up, they're childlike their entire lives. This is why they endear themselves to us so. Here's hoping the mass is benign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do know that. In fact, I had a discussion with my son recently about how I had three children and now I have three dogs that I replaced them with....lol We had fun trying to figure out which dog was which child. The whole thing was so funny. Both Matthew oops I mean Igor and I were laughing over it.

      Delete
  10. Such a beautiful cat and so nice to read she came through with flying colors. No surprise though...she is after all in a happy loving home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww you're so sweet! And thank you! I'll make sure I give her a pat from you when she comes out from under the bed.

      Delete