Tuesday, January 10, 2023

SUGAR IS NOT MY FRIEND

The following comment is one I left as a response on Spo-Reflections blog.  He laments that although he's not a sugarholic, he does occasionally have "unnatural cravings."   As we all know when you get an itch, you have to scratch it.  I wish my itches weren't such bitches! They all seem to go way beyond being harmless unnatural cravings.  For me, that sweet sugar itch is a real blood sucking demon!

I’ve tried desperately to weed sugar from the mix of what I consume. So far I’ve been fairly successful…my A1C smiles, but damn it, sometimes I want a King size Snickers and a Coke and raspberry pie with vanilla ice cream and mountains of warm, homemade oatmeal cookies and a HUGE glass of ice cold milk (not 1%)…just to name a few. I guess after feeling like I’ve rammed my head into the proverbial wall enough, I decided to be more compliant and accept that sugar and any simple carb in mass quantities …oh hell, who am I kidding? even in small quantities it’s like committing suicide slowly. My mantra needs to be “SUGAR IS NOT MY FRIEND!"

The truth of the matter is anything, but comical.  Diabetes is a horrible disease to have and difficult to manage successfully.  I know it's not impossible...just difficult!  It requires making informed choices: sugar or feet?  sugar or eyesight?  sugar or liver?  I could go on and on because let's face it, uncontrolled diabetes effects everything in your body and uncontrolled diabetes is a sure death sentence. Yes, we're all going to die, but why hasten the process?  Why add to the list of  things that go wrong as our body naturally ages? 

My last A1C was 10.3. My endocrinologist wants it to be under 7.5 in 3 months when I'm tested again. Do you know what your A1C is?  If not, maybe you should have it tested the next time you have to have blood work done.

According to the Mayo Clinic:
For someone who doesn't have diabetes, a normal A1C level can range from 4.5 to 6 percent. Someone who's had uncontrolled diabetes for a long time might have an A1C level above 8 percent.
When the A1C test is used to diagnose diabetes, an A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates you have diabetes. A result between 5.7 and 6.4 percent is considered prediabetes, which indicates a high risk of developing diabetes.
For most people who have previously diagnosed diabetes, an A1C level of 7 percent or less is a common treatment target. Higher targets may be chosen in some individuals. If your A1C level is above your target, your doctor may recommend a change in your diabetes treatment plan. Remember, the higher your A1C level, the higher your risk of diabetes complications.
 
A1C level
Estimated average blood sugar level
5 percent 97 mg/dL (5.4 mmol/L)
6 percent 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L)
7 percent 154 mg/dL (8.5 mmol/L)
8 percent 183 mg/dL (10.2 mmol/L)
9 percent 212 mg/dL (11.8 mmol/L)
10 percent 240 mg/dL (13.3 mmol/L)
11 percent 269 mg/dL (14.9 mmol/L)
12 percent 298 mg/dL (16.5 mmol/L)
13 percent 326 mg/dL (18.1 mmol/L)
14 percent 355 mg/dL (19.7 mmol/L)

*Repost from June 11, 2014

16 comments:

  1. My A1C level stays around 7, whic my dr is very pleased with. Mr dr told me that this number tells him that I don't often indulge in sugary snacks, etc. However, my nutricionist tells me that I don't eat often enough. He tells me that I should ALWAYS eat within 1 hr of getting out of bed and then time every 3 hrs afterward. HOLY COW, Moo! I awake between 3 and 5 every morning! To keep my glucose level, I would be eating at : ...3am, 6am, 9am,12 noon, 3pm, 6pm! 6 meals a day + 200 cal snack at bedtime??? Really, now! Sound like the ideal schedule to me! LOL Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an ideal world everything is as easy as it looks in print.

      Delete
  2. Diabetes is difficult to deal with but I'm glad to hear you are serious about watching what you eat. I watched my Dad develop several diabetes related problems and he was miserable.That sugar fix isn't worth the trouble just waiting at the end of that last spoonful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree...how I wish I craved something else besides sugar. I do have to admit that after not drinking soda for awhile when I had one it tasted so sickening sweet that I couldn't drink it. Hopefully, I'll get to the point where all simple carbs repulse me.

      Delete
  3. Diabetes is such an all encompassing disease isn't it? And sadly, sugar isn't any of our friends - diabetic or not. And I need to wean myself. Soon.
    Love that you are taking control, and reclaiming your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much of anything is a bad thing. I'm told that as long as I count my carbs and stay within the amount allotted I can eat anything. BUT (there's always a but) my body seems to be hypersensitive to simple carbs and quite frankly to any food period. I know I have to eat, but to be honest, some days it gets discouraging. I'll hang in there because I'm a trooper!

      Delete
  4. Great post on the subject. Sugar is definitely on my list of being the enemy. Pasta and bread is there too. My last was 7% and even knowing that I can totally control it right now I agree it doesn't help with the cravings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sugar/simple carbs are on a lot of people's hit list these days...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. When I was first married my wife saw me spooning sugar into my coffee. "That's got to stop" she demanded sweetly.

    I haven't eaten much sugar since (only very occasionally). However I am Type 2, and I need to take a few pills daily; otherwise OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being OK is a good way to be and I guess everything in moderation for most people is OK, too.

      Delete
  6. My A1C went from 10.1 to 8.5 so my doctor is happy but wants it down lower. My blood sugar numbers are averaging around 150 so it should be lower next time. I don't use sugar anymore but I have bought some sugar free candy and diet soda when I want something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! I know how hard getting your A1C under control is but stick with it! You got this!!!

      Delete
  7. Sugar is an addicitive white powder, just like a few others i'm sure we could all mention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah... I'm a sugar ho. My blood sugar is always fine, though. OMGGGGG I love sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sweets, too but they hate me! Lately it seems like most food hates me.

      Delete