Saturday, January 14, 2023

DON'T IT TURN MY BROWN EYES BLUE?

Since the time of the Pilgrims, New England has been steeped in many traditions. One of these traditions came to mind this morning as I prepared a pot of Boston baked beans to go in the oven for a traditional Saturday evening "supper." My grandmother also came to mind as I prepared my beans because she always told us that she put bluing in her beans. For those of you who don't know what bluing is/was used for; it was to get white clothes white. I guess before bleach was around people used bluing. Of course, my grandmother didn't actually add bluing to her baked beans, but she told us she did so "we all would fart a blue streak!" As I stood there, I lovingly smiled as I remembered my Nana.

As a child we would sing this ditty and giggle:

Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel.
Then you're ready for  another meal...

What exactly is it about a fart that makes it so funny? And so embarassing?

I looked up bluing and found this additional use for it and got even more tickled and thought maybe my grandmother did add a drop or two of bluing in her beans since our bloodline is descendants to the Salem witches. Of all the people who were accused, imprisoned, tried and executed for witchcraft, I am directly related to over 40 of those people. I've been doing genealogy research for almost 30 years and have done a couple DNA tests. It's truly amazing what you find out when you start digging...


Obviously, my grandmother had her own method of cleansing a house of evil spirits.

10 comments:

  1. What fascinating discoveries you made from your research. We have few food traditions here. My father didn't like baked beans so they were yet another thing that was never served at home. It struck me as unjust then and still does that he insisted that we ate everything on our plates but the things he didn't like didn't appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents had very liberal appetites so we learned to eat just about everything. I did have a few things I disliked as a child, but I was made to eat them anyway...

      Delete
  2. It's great for the crystal-growing science experiment, too.
    ::snickering at 'blue balls:::

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard about bluing since I was a kid. I don't know if my grandma used it but I know I heard about it back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that it was still around now until I looked it up.

      Delete
  4. Bluing! I learned something.
    About the evil spirits in the house, no one worries about that any more it's all taken care of with Pine-Sol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the "Mom and Pop" grocery stores around here still sell bluing as well as things like Fels Naptha and Crest-O-Mint.

    You have a fascinating family history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that. I like places that still sell old stuff.

      Delete