Sunday, October 23, 2022

DRIPPING ON MY KEYBOARD


https://mildredratched.blogspot.com/2018/04/show-me-sign.html
I first became aware of my grandparent's disappointment of me when I was a teenager. It was deserved, but it still hurt when my grandfather told me his dog was better than me. I had done some horrible things and yes, I had deserved scorn, but I didn't deserve cruelty.  Now, as an adult I look back on that part of my life and I wonder why no one stepped up and saw that I was in crisis. I was struggling. Jesus, I had my first overdose back then. Was it so hard to figure out I had some serious problems? I'm not excusing my behavior because I was incorrigible. I hurt many people and I'm deeply ashamed of that and always will be.

Whenever I would go "home" to Maine I always spent one day visiting my deceased relatives.  My brothers always thought this was rather morbid of me, but it never struck me that way.  I ways grabbed some lunch at a fast food place and ate lunch with my father, grandfather, grandmother and aunt.  They were all buried next to each other in the same cemetery.  On one such visit, I had had an emotional awakening the entire time I was in Maine.  My feelings were raw and I needed to vent so sitting there in front of my father and grandparents who were all non-participating entities in my life growing up I blasted them with everything I had.  I'm glad I was alone because if anyone had been in earshot, they would have thought I was crazy.  My final words to my father were, "Carl Goggins, are you listening to me?" Of course, he wasn't!  He had been dead for over 30 years at that time.  My words fell on deaf ears and my tears fell on stone marker bearing his name.

My next stop was to visit my mother's parents. My heart was so heavy because I knew what a disappointment I had been to them and I had just come from having "words" with my father.  I wish I had been able to say I'm sorry to them while they were still alive.  I wish they had known the turmoil I felt inside me growing up.  I wish they knew the panic I felt.  I wish they knew that I felt I had nowhere to go and no one to talk to and how trapped I felt.  I had to keep everything inside and for a child that's a huge burden.  Eventually it's going to erupt and it did erupt.  When it did, all everyone saw was a kid acting bad and not one person questioned why I was acting that way.  I don't think anyone cared or wanted to know because no one wanted to take any responsibility.

I pulled into the small cemetery where my grandparents are buried and got out of the car.  But instead of going to their grave, I stopped dead in my tracks. On top of their headstone was a huge roll of duct tape.  There wasn't a soul in the small cemetery and why would someone leave a roll of duct tape on my grandparents headstone?  I started laughing because I have a "thing" about duct tape and I took it as my father's answer that he was listening to me. I took the roll and sat down with my grandparents and told them I was sorry for being a disappointment to them and I wept.  It hurt to say that.  It hurts to admit that I hurt so many people that I loved and I wasn't able to tell them I was sorry while they were alive.

Now, let me fast forward to the present day...my mother is 92.  I love her dearly, but we've had a what I'll call a "ruffled" relationship my entire life.  It's never been smooth.  I'm her only daughter, but I've always wondered things like why she never sat me down at a certain age and showed me how to put make up on or how to style my hair, etc. when she herself dressed to the nines and looked like a model whenever she left the house. The other day I sat down in hopes that with the time we have left together that I might try to mend our relationship somewhat and make it smoother by offering an apology.  It was so difficult for me to hand her the olive branch, but I did it. I told her that I was so sorry that I wasn't the daughter that she needed and wanted me to be.  I told her that I really wanted us to enjoy what time we had left together and that I didn't want us to keep butting our heads together all the time (that's a story for another day.) I said I didn't want to be a disappointment to her any longer. My mother sat there without any reaction whatsoever while I wept and said nothing. She said nothing. She said nothing and she has said nothing about it since. End of discussion.

I can't even begin to describe the emotions that have flooded through me lately. I feel as though she continually punishes me for things I did long ago. I know karma is a bitch, but when is enough enough? When have you paid your dues? When are you truly forgiven? I can't help, but feel that my mother's silence is her way of being cruel because at 92 she's limited in what she can actually do now. I mean she can't whack the hell out of me with a hairbrush or a wooden spoon. Oh, I guess she could try, but I'm a little faster than her. I really hate to say that I think it's her way of being cruel  because I do love her. Jesus Christ! Now, I'm crying again! And I have to go find some meme to fit this stupid ass whiny post. Blah! Blah! Blah! Oh Mildred! Dry it up! Go get a Kleenex! You're dripping all over the keyboard!

By the way, I still have that huge roll of duct tape my father gave me and I use it quite often.  Each time I use it, I think of him and I actually thank him. The last time was to tape a hole worn in the fingers of my favorite pair of gardening gloves. Don't say "get a new pair!"  I've looked and they don't make that exact same pair and that's the pair I want so when I wear a hole in the fingers...duct tape it is! Thank you, Carl Goggins!

Can I get an Amen up in here?

Addendum: written 10/23/2022 Sunday morning - My mother passed away almost six months after I wrote this blog post on 6/1/2020. Although I'm much better now grieving has been a difficult process and finding purpose in life after being a caregiver for two elderly parents for the better part of two decades of my life has been challenging. When the options are limitless, how does one choose what to do?

19 comments:

  1. A very sad post, Mildred. But you've made your sincere apology and that's all you can do. I hope it lets you move on from the past. If your mother cannot/will not accept your apology, well, that's her business and is no reflection on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dust tape and WD40 and you can fix anything. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have moved on; others have not. fuck them. be true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh.
    I wish that I didn't know where you are coming from.
    Somedays tears are toxins which NEED to be shed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mildred, a Heartfelt Sisterly/Motherly/Friend Hug is in order. Shit, if we were in Person I'd have to risk a real Hug rather than a feeble Virtual one, even tho' we're not supposed to do that anymore with Plague and all! Some things are just fucked up... relationships can be so complex. The depth of our Pain always a measure of the depth of our Love. I'll give you that Amen, you did your part at attempted reconciliation, that's all one can do...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how raw and honest you are in your posts, and you say a lot of things that many of have said or felt at some time. No person should ever be told that a dog is better than a person, particularly as a growing teen. The Bible says that once we apologize and make amends, we've done the right thing, and then we move on to being better people. Should you pass on today, your conscious should be clear. For those who can't see you for who you are today or who don't accept your apologies, that's something they'll have to cope with. It's hard to say if your mom is being cruel or simply doesn't know what or how to say what's really on her mind. Either way, you'll drive yourself nuts trying to get inside her head. You've got enough to worry about. I'm a tape person too, particularly washi tape, but duct tape works quite well.(lol) You get an Amen from me and lots and lots of air hugs. RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just am what I am and we all feel pain. I'm okay. I just had a few bad days swishing around these emotions. My mother is my mother and she knows how to push my buttons in subtle ways. The older we both get the "trickier" she gets. Everyone sees this fabulous 92 year old woman and she is that but she has another side that comes out when she's being bitchy and that's the side I get because I'm her caregiver and the one who is around her all the time. I'm the one who gets the brunt of it and most of the time I can handle it but sometimes I have bad days too and well...

      Delete
  7. I have never understood how and why the people who gave us life can be so careless when it comes to nurturing. It seems that making us thrive in a loving environment should be the goal.

    It isn't until we are adults that we realize that parents (or any relative, really) are only human and carry pain from their own upbringing.

    My sister's husband once told her she was nothing more than a void. That was many years ago and to this day that careless word has affected her more than anything he ever said to her.

    I was told my dad when I was fourteen that he regretted the day he planted the seed that made me. I am an old man now and I have never forgotten those exact words or how they gutted me. Trying to forgive familial hurt is so difficult to do. It's unproductive to carry that baggage for an entire life, but I'm not sure anyone really does rid themselves of it. We move around it, compartmentalize it, but it's always there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always finds it's way to the surface especially for us emotional cutters. I don't know when to leave well enough alone. I guess I wanted to rid myself of this feeling that I wasn't a disappointment to everyone. That'll teach me!

      I guess under the circumstances I acted the only way I could. I acted out. I acted horrible. I did drugs and then I ran away and lived on the streets and had an adventure and then things changed! They always do, don't they?

      I remember years ago my mother telling me that if that pill had come out sooner that I would have never been born. I don't think she said it to be cruel, but even as a matter of a fact statement how is one supposed to take something said like that about our lives? Your father clearly was saying what he did to be mean. I think my mother was just talking about birth control in general and made an off the cuff remark about it that stuck with me. It was mean in a different way because she just never took my feelings into consideration. Parents rarely do. That's why I try hard when I deal with my adult children to always take their feelings into consideration. They're still my "babies"...they're my heart and soul and always will be until I take my last breath. I hope they know that.

      Delete
  8. My heart aches for the children who act out, there is almost always something going on and they need help. My heart aches for the child you were that you didn't get what you needed.

    I've come to believe that people do the best they can with the emotional, mental, physical and spiritual strength they have available to them at the moment. When someone has no strength, s/he can't do better. People who are cruel often simply don't have the strength to be kind and loving, and that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all have lived through some kind of mental bruising at some point in our lives. I figure mine is part of what made me who I am today. I'm told by others I'm a pretty terrific person or maybe I just fake it well!!! lol

      Delete
  9. The more I read, the more intrigued I get. You certainly lay it on the line. Is there a reason for this? #Jack#

    ReplyDelete