Tuesday, October 11, 2022

DAY 2 - 30 SONGS IN 30 DAYS

Day 2: A song you like with a number in the title

I thought long and hard on this one. There's many great songs with numbers in the titles, but the one I selected is America's favorite telephone number 867-5309/Jenny. While we may remember that telephone number from 1982 we probably can't remember our own telephone number from that time. I know I can't! 

Now for some song facts:

*In a June 2004 interview with Songfacts, co-writer Alex Call explained his version of the song's real origins:

Despite all the mythology to the contrary, I actually just came up with the 'Jenny,' and the telephone number and the music and all that just sitting in my backyard. There was no Jenny. I don't know where the number came from, I was just trying to write a 4-chord Rock song and it just kind of came out. This was back in 1981 when I wrote it, and I had at the time a little squirrel-powered 4-track in this industrial yard in California, and I went up there and made a tape of it. I had the guitar lick, I had the name and number, but I didn't know what the song was about. This buddy of mine, Jim Keller, who's the co-writer, was the lead guitar player in Tommy Tutone. He stopped by that afternoon and he said, 'Al, it's a girl's number on a bathroom wall,' and we had a good laugh. I said, 'That's exactly right, that's exactly what it is.'

Tommy Tutone's been using the story for years that there was a Jenny and she ran a recording studio and so forth. It makes a better story but it's not true. That sounds a lot better than I made it up under a plum tree in my backyard.

I had the thing recorded. I had the name and number, and they were in the same spots, 'Jenny... 867-5309.' I had all that going, but I had a blind spot in the creative process, I didn't realize it would be a girl's number on a bathroom wall. When Jim showed up, we wrote the verses in 15 or 20 minutes, they were just obvious. It was just a fun thing, we never thought it would get cut. In fact, even after Tommy Tutone made the record and '867-5309' got on the air, it really didn't have a lot of promotion to begin with, but it was one of those songs that got a lot of requests and stayed on the charts. It was on the charts for 40 weeks.

* borrowed from Wikipedia

7 comments:

  1. I'd pick that Big Band classic "Pennsylvania 6-5000" -- I love it when the band yells out "Pennsylvania Six - Five - Oh - Oh - Oh!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with it. I'll have to listen to it and get back to you on it...

      Delete
    2. Okay, I listened to it and it made me think of my mother. It was definitely a snappy little tune. I liked it. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Fun song. When we moved back from Kentucky in 1969, my dad got the same phone number he still uses today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents had the same phone number forever. I still remember the number I had growing up in Maine, but I don't remember half the numbers in my contact list. Go figure! Technology has spoiled us!

      Delete
  3. I worked for the phone company when this came out. If anyone had 8675309 in any area code, they had their number changed and 8675309 was blocked from being reassigned.

    ReplyDelete