Thursday, December 15, 2022

THE READING ROOM

Like many people, I call my bathroom "the library" or "the reading room." Take your pick.  The selection of reading material in my bathroom range from good old Readers Digests to a book titled 1001 Facts That Will Scare The Shit Out of You (The Ultimate Bathroom Reader). Although the book was published in 2010 and some of the facts are outdated now, I'd like to start discussing some of the ones I think are noteworthy.

Since the book has twenty chapters, I'll have plenty of material to select for blog posts.  The premise of the book is set up by citing a fact followed by a snarky comment by the author about the fact. Each fact is backed up by some sort of research which is cited in the right-hand column. Chapter One is titled "Are You Gonna Eat That?"

Here's a good one for all us peanut butter lovers. What I want to know is if this includes Jif since choosy mothers choose Jif... Oh no! I love Jif!

FACT: One pound of peanut butter can contain up to 150 bug fragments and 5 rodent hairs. (Up to 150. That means there could only be 120-130. Whew! I was almost disgusted there for a second.)

Let's not discriminate and leave the wine drinkers left out of this horror show.

FACT: Most wines are made from grapes harvested by machines that scythe through everything in their path, including sticks, insects, rodents and even larger mammals which can make their way into the end product. This is known to wine growers as MOG or "material other than grapes." (MOG also stands for "Mother of God I think that was a hoof.")

*Repost from June 18, 2019

12 comments:

  1. Is that one of the books in the "Uncle John's Bathroom Readers" series? There was a gazillion of those published in the 80s and 90s, if I remember correctly. They were all pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think this was one of those books but I'll definitely have to check them out. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. The incredible snob who was Clarrisa Dickson Wright once wrote a piece to the effect that vegetarians NEED animal protein to stay healthy. She pontificated that the Indians who came to the UK were less healthy because their lentils and rice were produced in 'healthy' conditions so they were getting much less protein than they were used to at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read in the bathroom...but eeeeeeeew on the peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eeeewww....I knew this, but still, eeeewww.

    My son is an entomologist who inspects facilities like these. Yup, that is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well...I've been eating Jif for more years than I care to admit and a few bugs won't scare me off. Actually, if the truth were to be known, they probably add to the flavor...lol

      Delete
  5. "Whew! I was almost disgusted there for a second." Hahahaha.

    I've swallowed worse. Nothing is going to make me give up peanut butter. Well, unless I choke on it and die.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fact is, every processed food is going to have bugs in it, they can't help it, and it doesn't kill us.

    A friend of mine tells the story of her grandmother, a new wife at the start of WWII who had just moved onto the base, taking a bag of flour back to the PX and telling the person behind the counter, "There are bugs in it."

    It was unceremoniously shoved back into her arms with the the comment, "Sift it, lady, there's a war on!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure people had to do a lot of things during the war to persevere.

      Delete