Wednesday, December 28, 2022

I AM A MESS

Back along ( I won't say when because everyone will holler WTF in unison) I injured my shoulder and it has progressively gotten worse since then. I can't extend my arm in front of me nor can I raise it above my head. The pain radiates all the way down my arm to my wrist. Getting dressed and undressed is a real challenge. In November my rheumatologist ordered X-rays and a MRI, but when I went to have them done the order was written for the wrong shoulder and the place wouldn't call the doctor's office to get the order changed verbally. Initially, I had a follow-up appointment in December with my rheumatologist which I intended to get the error corrected then, but I got a call from her office and they had to reschedule my appointment for a later date. At that point I called my primary care and got an appointment and was seen quickly. My primary care doctor ordered a MRI for the correct shoulder and it's scheduled for Friday. Given all my symptoms, she thinks I have a torn rotator cuff. Needless to say, I've been in pain most of the time and sleeping is difficult. Sleeping is always difficult anyways, but I feel like I'm in a fog all the time. No, the fog isn't from smoking weed! :) It's from lack of sleep and pain. I'm wondering if the surgery I had in October 2020 that caused nerve damage and muscle wasting syndrome has in some way contributed to this injury and if it will show up on the MRI. I will definitely mention it on Friday and hopefully they can capture that area on the image. So one thing is for certain, I can start 2023 with saying Mildred is a mess!    

8 comments:

  1. A torn rotator cuff is a nasty injury. Good luck with your MRI and I hope it gives a good roadmap of what must be done to heal your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tore a rotator cuff once. Like you, pain was excruciating, couldn't move my arm properly. Doctor wanted to give me some kind of shots. I think steroid. I went to an acupuncturist instead who said the shoulder was frozen. He stuck a few needles in me (it was painless) and I kid you not, it was INSTANT relief. I think I might have gone back for one more treatment before I was completely healed. The shoulder is fine now, except for when I over stress and aggravate the old injury using the Pain Cave's battle ropes. But all I have to do now is just rub the shoulder down with athletic pain ointments. No surgery, no steroid shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I do hope they can find the source of the problem and take care of it correctly. I am babying my left shoulder as i do not want to end up in surgery if i don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopin it doesn't require surgery but if it does I hope I don't have to wait for a long time to get it scheduled.

      Delete
  4. Mildred is NOT alone in that. Good luck on Friday.

    ReplyDelete